This apple pie a la mode is a family favorite that combines sweet tender layers upon layers of sliced apples in a buttery and flakey pie curst.
There's nothing more of an all American dessert than Apple Pie à la mode.
Apple pie is one my daughters favorite pies. It’s the one pie that’s consistently present for every Thanksgiving, Christmas or dinner party.
Apple pie and mini pumpkin pies are a staple for my daughter. She waffles between apple pie à la mode with ice cream or crumble top apple pie.
The best thing about apple pie is that it doesn’t matter what the season, it’s always an excellent treat all year round.
My family and I love traditional apple pie and with ice cream on top, there’s nothing more filling.
You will love this apple pie à la mode because it of its buttery flaky crust, rich apple filling full of juicy, sweet apples and the no churn vanilla ice cream to top it off.
How to Make Pie Crust
Using flour, salt, vegetable shortening and water, you’ll create your pie crust mixture. When you have your dough at the consistency you like, form into a ball.
Place your dough into the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes. This helps to roll out your dough for the pie crust.
After 30 minutes, roll out your dough, sprinkling a little flour to use a roller making it about ⅛ inch thickness. This will line a 9 inch pie crust.
For my apple pie recipe, I used a flat top as the topping.
Hint: if you prefer a lattice top, you can easily cut the dough into strips and make a lattice top.
What Apples Make the Best Pies?
You’ll want to make sure your apples are sliced about the same thickness. You won’t want some thicker apple slices that don’t cook all the way through or some thin slices as they will become mushy.
I like to use a mandolin slicer and slice my apples using about ¼ inch thickness.
When choosing apples for this or any other apple recipe you want apples which are sweet, tart and firm. They need to hold up and not break down, becoming mushy, during the baking process.
Golden delicious apples or Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored, and ¼ inch thinly sliced are my go-to when working with a pie.
Here are my favorite apples to use:
- Granny Smiths - These green apples are tart, full of flavor and perfect for an apple pie.
- Golden Delicious - These are the yellowish apples. They are sweet, but soft. They also hold up well during the baking process.
- Red Apple - they typically call these the Northern Spy apples, which are on the sweet side.
How to Make Apple Pie Filling
First you’ll want to prepare your apples.
- Peel your apples. Apple peels can get chewy when baked, so it’s best to peel your apples for this recipe.
- Slice your apples. I like to slice them thin, about ¼ to ⅛ inch thick. Any thinner and the apples can get mushy.
- Mix all the Pie ingredients together. I like to add about one tablespoon of flour into the apple pie mixture. It helps the apples to absorb the liquid as they bake.
How Long to Bake Apple Pie à la mode
To keep the crust from getting soggy you’ll start the apple pie at a higher temperature, 450° degrees for 10 minutes.
After that you reduce the oven temperature to 350° degrees for another 35-40 minutes.
What is à la mode dessert?
It’s a dessert that has ice cream as a topper. Yum!
The taste of sweet ice cream like my no churn vanilla ice cream combined with the sugary sweetness of apples, makes for an explosion of flavor. You’re mouth will thank you.
Pies with the name a la mode in them primarily are an American meaning. It means to serve something with ice cream on top.
How Long Does an Apple Pie last?
Apple pie can be kept at room temperature up to two days by storing it in an air-tight container.
If refrigerated, the pie will last an additional 2-3 days.
Pie Crust Ingredients:
All Purpose Flour - The best crust you'll want to use a pastry flour, which is low in protein and will help your crust bake flaky.
Salt - Enhances the flavor of the pie.
Vegetable Shortening - Shortening has a higher melting point, so it makes rolling out the pie dough a lot easier.
Ice Cold Water - Water helps to bind the dough together.
Pie Filling Ingredients:
Apples - Granny Smith or Golden Delicious apples are the best apples to peel and slice thin for this pie. They hold up well and aren't in danger of becoming mushy.
Sugar - Give the pie that sweet taste.
Cinnamon & Nutmeg - Enhances the taste of the pie filling.
Unsalted Butter - Always best used at room temperature.
Pie Crust Directions:
1. Add flour, salt and vegetable shortening. Gradually add ice water until you can form the pie crust into a ball.
2. Using a roller pin, roll it about ¼ to ⅛ inch thick and place into 9 inch baking pie pan.
Pie Filling Directions:
3. Peel and slice apples.
4. Mix apples, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl. Toss gently to combine the mixture.
FREE Printable Recipe
- 3 c. all-purpose flour churn
- 1 t. salt
- 1¼ c. vegetable shortening
- 7-12 T. ice-cold water
Pie Filling Ingredients
- 6 c. peeled and sliced apples
- ⅔ c. granulated sugar
- 1 t. ground cinnamon
- ⅛ t. ground nutmeg
- 2 T. unsalted butter, cut into 4 or 5 pieces
1.Pre-heat oven to 450°F and place rack in center position.
2.To prepare pie crust, add flour, salt, and vegetable shortening to a large bowl and mix with a hand mixer. Gradually add ice-cold water until the dough binds together and can form a ball. Place in the refrigerator and chill for 30 minutes.
3.Remove the dough from the refrigerator and divide into 2 even sections. Roll out each piece of dough into a 10-11 inch diameter for a 9-inch pie.
4.Line a 9-inch pie pan with one of the crusts.
5. Add sliced apples, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg to a large bowl and toss gently to combine.
6. Transfer the apple filling to the pie crust.
7.Place top crust over the pie and crimp the edges together. Cut 4-5 vents into the top crust with a sharp knife and place a small piece of butter in each. Cover edges with foil or a pie crust protector to prevent over browning.
8.Bake for 10 minutes at 450°F. Reduce temperature to 350°F and continue baking for another 35-40 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing.
10. Serve with ice cream and Enjoy!
Who doesn't love apple pie! Please enjoy this apple pie a la mode recipe and let me know how you like it.